Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 12:01:00 PM
News:
SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: WCOBA Queen Rearing Class  (Read 1841 times)
Gary Hess
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:22:01 PM »

My queen has emerged from the cell protector from the grafts on May 10th during our WCOBA Queen Rearing class.  The cell was a bit short but we will see what she looks like after mating.  Still, I am pleased to have had my first graft survive to emergence.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=608996202444880&set=a.202700789741092.58603.156590161018822&type=1&theater

Anyone from the class grafted yet or have plans to graft soon?  Monna and I are planning a practice run over the Memorial Day weekend.  Would love to hear what the rest of you are doing.
Gary Hess
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:48:47 AM »

Monna and I completed our first practice queen grafting & rearing post-class.  We grafted 20 larva on May 26th.  We had 12 cells accepted by the starter and 11 capped cells come out of the finisher.  We chose the best 9 to put in mating nucs (only had equipment and resources for 9) on June 4th.  During a June 10th inspection 8 of the 9 had emerged with only one dud.  They should be making mating flights today and tomorrow (weather permitting) so I plan to check in on Friday to see how many queens made it back from mating.

Hoping to graft another round on June 29th.  The cell size from the first round was somewhat small and the quantity of royal jelly was a bit less than desirable so we have some work to do on our finisher for this next round.  I think the problem was that we were in the peak of a honey flow, the brood area was more filled with waiting nectar than open brood, and the lower levels of open brood in the colony ended up in less abundant feeding than preferred.  That's the hypothesis anyway.  I plan to get on the preparation and setup of that finisher colony at least a week before grafting this next round to create better results...

Anyone else out there grafting and have any updates on results or tips on setting up the finisher?  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:50:19 AM by Gary Hess » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print

Jump to: